On August 13, 1912, Washington Street Baptist Church was organized at the Stephenville City Park by J.F. Lockhart and C. Hearne, with eleven charter members. Later that same year, they bought the property where we are currently located and the church has been in continuous operation here ever since. The Pastors who have served here are J.F. Lockhart, R.L. Smallwood, J.L. Davis, John Reynolds, Ernest Rippetoe, John Martin, Kermit Johnson, Earl Baugh, Jr., James Simmons, and George Malis.
The old sanctuary was built by Cumberland Presbyterian Church in the late 1870s. In November 1911, the building and 1/2 city block of land was purchased by the Baptist Missionary Association Church for $2000. The name was later changed to Second Baptist Missionary Church, then later to Washington Street Baptist Church. The building was torn down and replaced with a brick structure between February and May 1968.
Through the years, the names and faces have changed around here, but the one thing that has never changed is an unwavering dedication to the preaching of God’s Word.